insect/artist.

I love art. I love science. I really love when art and science combine. It's why I'm becoming a dentist. So when I discovered what I'll call the collaborative work of French artist Hubert Duprat and a group of caddisfly larvae, I was beyond amazed.

Caddisflies are small moth-like insects that are recognized by their two pairs of hairy membranous wings. Their larvae are aquatic, and the larvae of some species of caddisflies build cases around themselves, made from their own silk and incorporating small bits of material they find in their environments such as gravel and tiny shells.

Photo by Jan Hamrsky. View more of his exquisite insect photography on flickr.

Photo via Dr. Geoff Balme

Duprat gives the caddisfly larvae bits of gold and precious stones, and as you can see, the results are quite remarkable.

Read more about Duprat's work and see more of his and the caddisfly larvae's work at cabinetmagazine.org

No comments: